Search This Blog

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Cindy Prascik's Review of Marvel's Ant-Man










































Dearest Blog, today it was off to the cinema to tick off another item on the "Superhero Movies I Have to Get Through Before They'll Give Me Another Batman" list. On the docket: Marvel's Ant-Man.
Spoiler level here will be mild, nothing you wouldn't know from the trailers.

An ex-con looking for a new path finds good things really do come in small packages.

(Sooooooooooo...anybody else get a li'l misty every time that Star Wars trailer runs? Just me, then?)

Somehow Ant-Man never seemed to generate the kind of excitement Marvel's gotta be pretty used to by now. Sure, there's a built-in audience that's always going to be wound up about a genre picture, but to me Ant-Man just doesn't sell itself to the random box-office walkup like Captain America or Thor.

My own anticipation was far greater when it was flying under the "Written & Directed by Edgar Wright" flag, but I'm pleased to report Ant-Man is a thoroughly enjoyable movie, and much of it still feels quite "Wright," if you'll pardon the terrible pun. (Wright retains writing and producing credits.)

As fits the Marvel brand, Ant-Man is mostly light, and often wanders into flat-out hilarious territory.

It's got a lot more going for it than you might think, but the humor is, by far, its best attribute. The movie's got some sweet effects, too, though I did grow a little tired of the big bugs/tiny person sequences. (We get it, he's an ANT man!) Ant-Man mostly moves along at a good clip and is smart enough not to wear out its welcome, but it occasionally it tries too hard to explain itself, and I could feel the crowd around me getting restless at times.

Some of the Avengers references started to feel a little bit Agents-of-S.H.I.E.L.D. desperate, too: "Guys, this might not be as good as our other stuff..better throw in an Iron Man joke so people remember that's us too!" If you're a Paul Rudd fan--and I can't imagine there's anyone who isn't--you'll be delighted at how perfectly he fits into Ant-Man's tiny boots.

I was a little nervous, but I needn't have worried; Rudd is ideally suited to the character and the movie. The supporting cast is pretty terrific from top to bottom, too, though I'm still not sold on Evangeline Lilly. If pressed to say my favorite part of the film, it'd have to be the trio of Michael Pena, Tip "T.I." Harris, and David Dastmalchian (or, as I call him, "that crazy guy from The Dark Knight who did the Wendy's commercial"), who provide laugh-out-loud moments every time they're onscreen.

Ant-Man clocks in at 117 minutes and is rated PG13 for "sci-fi action violence."

I think the lone other patron who waited out the credits with me put it best when he said, "Well...I liked that better than Age of Ultron!"

Of a possible nine Weasleys, Ant-Man gets eight.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...